Opinions for a bow hunting rig. - Bows and Crossbows - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums

Opinions for a bow hunting rig.

- - - - -

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Locationup in the woods now
I haven't used any archery equipment since '78 - '79 and I'm clueless as to what's available today. Seeings how a lot of "over the counter" archery tags are available in Arizona now, I plan on gearing up for this spring. Any opinions on bows and related gear? I've never used site pins or the site tube, site pins were just coming out when I laid down my bow.

rizzo

rizzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
First step: go into an archery shop and get measured for draw length and draw weight.
Second step: buy a cheap archery setup on craigslist, backpage, ebay, etc.

Lots of guys buy archery stuff (like boats, quads, snowboards, and other such things) thinking they'll use them and then they don't, so the market is generally flooded with this stuff and some guys will dump it cheap.

There are all kinds of crazy bows out there, super fast and super lightweight, and some nice accessories, too. Budget becomes a big factor in what you'll get - you can spend $200 and get completely setup or $1500 and get completely setup. Personally, I run an old PSE Maxxis, 30"/65lb, standard tru-glo pins to 65 yds, drop free arrow rest, short stabilizer, various string and limb silencers, and Carbon Express arrows with Terminator broadheads. None of that stuff is expensive (Wal-Mart FTMFW!) but I kill stuff all day with it.

Take a look at some setups and then ask some more detailed questions and I'll do what I can to help you out.

6.5shooter

6.5shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Glen said it right man. You absolutely must get measured for the correct draw length. Not sure where you are located, but there should be a shop close to you that will be more than willing to help.

I just bought my girlfriend a new set up. It's a PSE Chaos. It's the perfect beginners bow. Bought it used from a guy in Tucson fully set up with a release and a dozen arrows for less than $300. I could easily use this set up to hunt for myself if I didn't already have a bow.

I've been bow hunting since high school so if you have any other questions, let me know.

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts
Will do. I also need to try a couple sight set ups to help decide which works best for me, I've never used pins or the tube. So far all I know is that I want as short a compound bow as I can find that meets my criteria. ie; The strongest pull / lightest letoff that Fish & Game allows here in AZ.

rizzo

rizzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
AZGFD may be allowing lighter draw weights after Dec 1, depending on the outcome of the meeting. Lots of other good changes may happen also. So if draw weight is a concern for you, you may consider waiting until after Dec 1.

As for archery sights, I'm a big TruGlo fan. Good price and good product.

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts
Draw wieghts are no problem, I'll take the heaviest one allowable. I'll do my research and pick something up after the changes have been decided upon, thanks for the tip.

Kevinjs1

Kevinjs1

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1123 posts
  • LocationPeoria
I don't know if this might be what you are looking for?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!