Surefire sonic defenders plus Review - Firearm Related Gear - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums

Surefire sonic defenders plus Review

- - - - -

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

Flash

Flash

ShootersRealm.com Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 4302 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona
http://www.surefire....nders-plus.html

Posted Image

Bought a pair of these Monday at the Pistol Parlor in Mesa on speculation. I'd heard a lot of good things about them and figured I'd give it a whirl. Used them while shooting 100 rounds of 20 Gauge shotgun Tuesday. Extremely comfortable compared to other plugs I'd used and a lot of sound attenuation. They seem to work as advertised.

I'm happy.

EP4-Hearing-Protectors
EP4 Sonic Defenders® Plus protect your hearing without interfering with your ability to hear routine sounds or conversations. Their triple-flange stem design fits larger ear canals and provides a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 24dB. Sounds, at safe levels, are allowed to pass through into the ear canal, while potentially harmful noises (above 85dB) are reduced to safe levels via a proprietary design that incorporates the patented Hocks Noise Braker® filter. EP4s include attached stopper plugs, which can be inserted for further protection and blocking out lower-level noise, like that heard on a plane, where hearing ambient sounds or conversations isn't critical. The right/left color-coded Sonic Defenders Plus are made from a soft but durable, hypoallergenic polymer and are ergonomically shaped, with an adjustable-stem design, providing a secure fit, all-day comfort, and extended product life (3 to 6+ months, depending on usage and care). And their low-profile design means they can be worn while wearing a helmet or mask, or while using a phone or headset. Available in clear, black, or orange.

Comfortable EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus also serve as earpieces for EarPro by SureFire® and other compatible radio communication systems*simply by removing the Hocks Noise Braker filter and attaching the earpiece to the system. NOTE: EP4 earpiece no longer provides hearing protection once the Hocks Noise Braker filter has been removed.

EP4s are available in small (S), medium (M), and large (L). Proper size is based on the dimensions of your ear's concha bowl. Size "medium" fits most people. For those with smaller ear canals, the two-flange stem of our EP3 Sonic Defenders may provide a better fit than the EP4's three-flange stem.

For best fit, click on the small Sizing Chart image at left.

EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus are sold as a single left/right set or in a box containing 25 sets. Each set is packaged in a convenient carry case and includes a polymer lanyard.

Flash

rizzo

rizzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
Myself and most of my instructors love these plugs - very comfortable and not as totally deafening as foamies. I use them for all of my precision rifle work as they are more comfortable than my electronics while laying around on the ground, and Bombguy spent a year of his life wearing them - he swears by them.

CBR_Rob

CBR_Rob

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • LocationAvondale, AZ
I've been running them for a little over a year now and love them. Could never get an answer on how long the noise filters last but I replace them after about 10 uses just to be on the safe side. Nice to see a time frame now published.

Edited by CBR_Rob, 26 September 2012 - 08:28 PM.

wishbone

wishbone

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationSonoran Desert
I've always been interested in trying them. When I ditch my electronic protection, I usually go over to my custom fit from the vendor that is always at the shows. Those are quite nice and pretty freaking comfortable.

Kevinjs1

Kevinjs1

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1123 posts
  • LocationPeoria
Sounds like a big upgrade from the Silencio foam plugs I have been using for years. I will have to give these a try.

dauph

dauph

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationNorth Valley
I got a pair and like them a lot, very comfortable. I will buy them again.

Flash

Flash

• Moderators
  • 4302 posts
A little follow up review of my review.

I was shooting and had trouble hearing a guy I was talking with, so I pulled out the stopper on my left sonic defender.

It immediately broke off when I did it. Not the end of the world, but a little disappointing.

Bombguy

Bombguy

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationNowhere, USA
I am a little late to this thread but I'll share my 2 cents anyhow. As Rizzo stated I spent almost a year wearing these things everyday. They are super comfortable until about 12hrs then they start to wear on you. I still have my original set and they still work just fine so I am going to assume that the timeframe is more of a CYA than a hard and fast rule.

Flash

Flash

• Moderators
  • 4302 posts
I'll give a little update also. I have found that these are great for me when shooting a handgun or a light recoiling rifle. When I fire a rifle or shotgun with significant recoil, one or both pop out of my ears a little bit. I tried a couple of different sizes and the same thing occurs. It's probably something odd about the shape of my ears.

I cut off the part that doesn't go in the ear canal and they work just fine now. They definitely suppress a lot of the sound.

RJ of AZ

RJ of AZ

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
I"m going to look into these, seem like the ''cats meow""

nice at that, i'd have to get more than one pair, as I misplace many things, mostly things i like.

found a couple ar15 lowers in one of my t shirt boxes, (company shirts stash) seems I hid them, hehe, nice find,

happy tuesday,

TCB Firearms

TCB Firearms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1388 posts
  • LocationSan Tan Valley, AZ

found a couple ar15 lowers in one of my t shirt boxes, (company shirts stash) seems I hid them, hehe, nice find,

happy tuesday,

ummmm, those are mine. How did you get them? :unknown:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!