WTB 9mm Die set - Want Ads or Freebies - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums

WTB 9mm Die set

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

Kevinjs1

Kevinjs1

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1123 posts
  • LocationPeoria
Looking for a 4 die 9mm set unless you can tell me why I only need a 3 dies set. Let me know what you have that's not needed and I will trade you cash for your dies.

Thanks,

Kevin

Flash

Flash

ShootersRealm.com Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 4302 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona
If you're referring to the 4th die being a Lee Final Crimp Die, then I agree with you completely. There are those who will tell you that you don't need the Lee FCD if you set up your dies correctly and while they're right, they're overlooking a couple of things:

1. You don't want to seat and crimp in the same station at the same time so you either need a Lee FCD or a 2nd seat/crimp die from some manufacturer anyway.

2. In case you get something 'way out of spec in a bullet, the FCD will size it down to where it'll chamber in your gun. If the bullets aren't out of spec, it won't do diddly other than apply a taper crimp.

Good luck in your search.

ragedracer

ragedracer

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
That sounds about like what I told him, you just said it more eloquently. =)

The Lee FCD is the best way to do it, but a seat/crimp die works pretty good.

That said, I've reloaded with a Dillon 3 die sets for pistol since 1995. I've never had a round not chamber. We're talking 50,000 + cartridges.

For .223, I always use the lee FCD.

Here's a lee set on eBay. It's a fair price IMO, given the market right now.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a286eacdc

eBay actually has a lot of 9mm die sets.

Edited by ragedracer, 26 January 2013 - 09:33 AM.

Flash

Flash

• Moderators
  • 4302 posts
If you're willing to wait a bit, this is 1/2 the price, plus this is new, not used:
http://www.midwayusa...e-set-9mm-luger

wishbone

wishbone

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationSonoran Desert
Interesting. Didn't even know there was an option. I've always used 4 but I started out spoiled on a progressive where an extra station on the press isn't a big deal to me.

Flash

Flash

• Moderators
  • 4302 posts
Back when I learned, all there was was single stage presses. My Dad taught me to seat and crimp in two different operations.

So, I backed out the crimp die, screwed the seater down, down, down until I got the length I wanted, then seated all the ammo I was making at the time, which was usually around 500/batch.

Then after all were seated, I'd take the seater, back it almost all the way out, run the die back in the press until it just touched the case mouth of a seated round, and slowly lower it until I got the crimp I desired. Then I ran the whole 500 through that.

Progressive presses sure make life much easier, don't they?

When I got a second seat/crimp die, I thought it was an incredible luxury even on a single stage press.

wishbone

wishbone

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationSonoran Desert
hah yeah, certain things make me wish I had an extra single sometimes (like just decapping 223) but most of the time I love my progressive setup. Especially because changing calibers out is so easy and I can keep the entire head set and together if I need to switch back. I do definitely feel spoiled by it.

Flash

Flash

• Moderators
  • 4302 posts
You and me both Josh. I absolutely love progressive presses. Every week Mrs. Flash and I shoot 9MM and .380. While I have a loaded stash of both, I like to reload whatever we shot on the day we shot it. So, last week I came home, cleaned guns, had some trail mix, then reloaded the .380s, swapped out the shellplate, charge bar and turret on my Loadmaster, and loaded up 9MM. It takes about 3 minutes to change over. I've actually got a clip hanging on the LoadMaster's cover that says 9MM on one side and .380 ACP on the other so I know what it's set up for when I walk in the reloading room.

Kevinjs1

Kevinjs1

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1123 posts
  • LocationPeoria
Thanks for the info fellas. I am well on my way to years of happy reloading :yahoo:

Kevinjs1

Kevinjs1

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1123 posts
  • LocationPeoria
I sat down to order the dies from midway tonight and they want $9.50 to ship them. Anyone know if they are still offering their coupons?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!