Boot recommendation needed - Page 2 - Camping and Outdoors - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums - Page 2

Boot recommendation needed

- - - - -

• You cannot reply to this topic
27 replies to this topic

Watchdog

Watchdog

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Merrell Chameleons, love them bought a pair for the Pecos Run and Gun 2 years ago, and have picked up some other Merrells since for different purposes.

Kevinjs1

Kevinjs1

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1123 posts
  • LocationPeoria
I just picked up a pair of Merrell hiking socks. Lightweight and made for hot weather hiking and they are great. They usually run like $17 per pair but I found some at Mashalls for $4.

dauph

dauph

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationNorth Valley
I found a pair of Merrell Refuge low cuts at Cabelas for about $50 (normally marked at 120) a month or so ago, very comfortable.

While roaming the net I found this on the Asolo boots

http://loadoutroom.c...o-fugitive-gtx/

Asolo Fugitive GTX

by Uri · October 28, 2012 · Posted In: Third Line
Posted Image

I’ve tried several boots in the past few years and I always seem to get the same brands: Asolo, Lowa and La Sportiva. In the past 3 years though, I’ve worn the Asolo Fugitive GTX.
Posted Image
The boots are tough, keep your feet dry and are comfortable even when you are carrying a heavy ruck. The boots are made of water-resistant split-grain leather and Cordura uppers with a Gore-Tex liner. The combined weight is about 3 lbs. Not too heave not to light.
These boots excel on mountainous terrain as well as desert. I’ve taken mine to the sandbox and to the mountains and never let me know.
Posted Image
One of the things I found useful when wearing these boots (and pretty much any boot) is the use of professional insoles. I use Superfeet blue or orange depending on the weight I’ll be carrying. It is a must-have since the insoles that come with the Asolo boots are thin and provide not support.
One thing I’ve notice is how well they perform in semi-cold conditions. Usually boots this breathable provide next to no insulation on cold conditions. The Fugitive, though, were great in late fall / early winter snow int he mountains. I wound’t recommend them for full on winter pursuits, but they are great for colder temps.
Posted Image
Overall I love these boots. The current pair I have is my second pair. The first one served me well for over 2 years before the soles were too thin for me to wear them properly.
Asolo is a great choice for boots.

Read more: http://loadoutroom.c.../#ixzz2ApeUMyAO

rizzo

rizzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
You really can't go wrong with the Asolo Fugitives - they are quite simply the best boots I have ever put on my feet. I have worn just about everything (no joke) and I can say that the Asolos stand up to abuse the best, are the most comfortable for my foot, and are the best all-terrain / all-weather boot I've ever put to use.

Currently I am wearing the Under Armour Speed Freeks to see how well they'll hold up, and while I'm impressed with their lightweight and comfort, I am anxious to see what the winter time does to them.

magaskins

magaskins

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • LocationPeoria
Rocky's for me, kid wanted them at graduation from BCT as all the DS's wore them. Bought both of us a pair, they're like slippers.

wishbone

wishbone

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationSonoran Desert
The most important part of boot selection (or shoe selection in general) is finding something that fits YOUR foot, none of us can tell you that unfortunately. I tried hard to like Asolos, but they just don't fit my fat feet and make my toes feel like their going into a vice in the front. They are very narrow in the front. I'm a huge fan of REI, letting you return ANYTHING helps, and I agree with everything they say here.

Edited by wishbone, 31 October 2012 - 02:44 PM.

rizzo

rizzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
Josh - that video made me so happy. They summed up everything important in just a couple of minutes.

wishbone

wishbone

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationSonoran Desert
Yeah, I just saw that posted and thought it was a pretty good quick recommendation. I'm not an expert outdoorsman by any stretch of the imagination but I've certainly learned that a good pair of boots, designed for what you want ot use them for, can make the world of difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!