Mounting a Springfield Gen 4 scope mount on SOCOM - Optics and Sights - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums

Mounting a Springfield Gen 4 scope mount on SOCOM

- - - - -

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

WKshooter

WKshooter

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationArizona, Oklahoma, Texas
I'm putting this out there in case anybody is considering putting a scope on a SOCOM type rifle. The mount I chose for the set-up was a Springfield Gen 4 scope mount. Now I've mounted a number of scopes in the past and I scanned through the mounting directions and jumped right into my project tightening the thumb screws with some good hand pressure. In the directions they call out for no thread lock. After firing 5 rounds on the range, I found it was impossible to keep the screws tight and needless to say the zero was all over the place.

I'm not exactly a patient person so I came back to the house, put blue loctite on the threads, used a large screwdriver in the slots and headed back out the next weekend only to find after a few shots the screws backed out again. While sitting in the garage fuming over what to do...the inevitable happens..my wife comes out to see what is going on. She does the "wife" thing and asks what's going on? Of course since this is above her head, I give her the short story. :shout:

Her only comment was to ask if I followed the instructions? I'm like "what???"...so she leaves and allows me to fester with my problem. I reluctantly pick up the instructions and decide what the hell and pull it all apart and clean the threads of any loctite.

In the instructions there is a very detailed sequence of steps which need to be followed:

The first step after putting in the replacement piece for the stripper guide is to screw down the front (left) thumbscrew. It then says to use a large screwdriver and hand tighten until there is no more twist. The next step is to get a hammer and sharply tap the mount on both sides of the screw and re-tighten. You continue this process until there is no movement in the tightening process. I was amazed as over three iterations, I was able to turn the screw @3/4 of a turn, then 1/2 and then just a 1/4 until it set.

After the front screw is set, then the rear thumbscrew is tightened to make contact then set in-place. Seemed kind of hokkie, but what the hell...I went out the next morning and to my amazement the scope held firm after 100 rounds.

So far my experience with the Gen 4 mount is positive and it seems to be working fine. It was frustrating at first, but there is a very detailed sequence which needs to be followed in-order to make it function and hold zero. There may be better mounts out there on the market, but at this point I'm pleased with the Gen 4 and would recommend it to others.

In case you are wondering, the scope is a Leupold 2x7 VX-R with a Ballistic Firedot. The reticle has what appears to be a cross hair-CQB circle with graduated hash marks on the vertical. What I really like about it is the lighted center dot on the reticle. It lights up just like a red dot (except still has parallax) Seems like it has function similar to the ACOG. Hard to say what the accuracy was, with a cold barrel it would give groups in the 1 1/2 MOA range but as the barrel heated up the groups would expand out to 3" or so. The power of the .308 round is awesome, we were shooting some rocks at 200 to 300 yards earlier with the .223 and could see the bullet impressions. When we lit up the same rocks with the .308, they split in half and crumbled in smaller pieces.

Now just need to figure out how to tell the wife she was right.... :empathy:

Posted Image

CBR_Rob

CBR_Rob

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • LocationAvondale, AZ
I've always found it is best to tell her she was right when she is in a deep sleep, you feel good for telling her and you don't have to hear about it next time!

WKshooter

WKshooter

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationArizona, Oklahoma, Texas
Hmmm...good idea, at least I could get it off my conscience.. :mocking:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!