Is 10x enough? - Optics and Sights - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums

Is 10x enough?

- - - - -

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

Bombguy

Bombguy

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationNowhere, USA
I am looking at buying a new scope for my 308. I don't really plan to shoot beyond about 700 yards. Is a 10x scope enough for that kind of shooting? As a small side note into my ability I can reliably hit a man sized target at 500 yds with iron sights. (thank you Uncle Sam's Misguided Children)

markm

markm

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
It's been PLENTY for us. It was the Special Ops standard in the Mil before the quailty variables started coming around.

I have a Variable now because I switched to a mil/mil scope. It goes up to 12X, but I just leave it on 10X for everything out to 1000 yards.

Flash

Flash

ShootersRealm.com Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 4302 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona
I had a 3 x 9 for a lot of years and always wanted twice the magnification, so one day I bought a 6 x18. Guess what? Not that much difference.

I should've known that, though, as most things are that way.

Flash

Bombguy

Bombguy

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationNowhere, USA
Does anyone have any personal experience with the Bushnell Elite 3200 line of optics?

markm

markm

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
My current scope is the Bushnell Elite Tactical... ?x-12X.. I don't remember exactly... like I said, I just set it to 10X and shoot.

I played with my buddy's 4200 Elite, and it was Ok... I mean... it had a duplex reticle, so... Yawn... not much to anaylize on it. But Bushnell is making good stuff these days.

428CJ

428CJ

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts
Now I own two name brand scopes.First is Burris and Nikon.The Nikon, is a Monarch and it's 2.5x10x42. The glass isn't bad and I have 70 MOA of adjustment in elevation.Not a bad scope for the bucks. I have two Burris scopes, one is Signature Select 4x16x44 with a Ballistic Plex.Glass is good but not a lot of MOA adjustment, only about 30.But it is a hunting scope, when you see the Ballistic plex you well understand.The one I like the best is XTR or Xtreme Tactical scope. It's 6x24x50.It has.25MOA adjustment perclick.Total is 79 MOA for elevation.When I go shoot at long range, I work the adjustment a lot. Always return to my zero.It has the best glass of the scopes that I have.They make this in 3x12x50mm is real nice.To me it's the best bang for the bucks.It has a life-time warrantyThere is another one I like better, but I don't want to spend $1,800 or more.When I was young, I thought scopes were for wimps.Love my M14 sites.That's the scope on my rifle.

Edited by 428CJ, 19 April 2012 - 08:09 PM.

Bombguy

Bombguy

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationNowhere, USA
Thanks guys. I ended up buying a Bushnell Elite fixed 10 power mil/mil scope. Now I just need to get my rifle back so I can go do some shooting.

428CJ

428CJ

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Thanks guys. I ended up buying a Bushnell Elite fixed 10 power mil/mil scope. Now I just need to get my rifle back so I can go do some shooting.

Happy for you.May you shoot sub-MOA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!