Hunting with a suppressor - Hunting - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums

Hunting with a suppressor

- - - - -

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

RJ of AZ

RJ of AZ

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
Well, I"m on the fence on this one,
While I"ve shot a few critters with a supressor, (only because I needed to be discreet) it would not and never will be my way to hunt a "table food" animal.
Its just my opinion, but I have alway enjoyed hearing a compadres rifle report, whether it be the one shot kill, or the many to attempt success for the hunt. The knowledge of misses allows one to chide your hunting partner, but most of all.
The report of the rifle, shotgun, pistol allows the game a chance.

Lets face it, with the new shooters (accuracy, if one does their part) along with amazing ammo, scopes, range finders, infrared abilities, satelite abilities its a wonder we have critters left. lol.

Ok, so I might be embellising it some. But give it some thought, if the animal does not hear the rifle, and ackowledge the miss, it has no chance to dodge or run amok.
Now you might think me a bunny and tree hugger that is not the case.
I've taken more than my share of game, and troublesome critters,
and I'm not saying its a bad thing, just that it is not by baliwick, I like the fact a critter can hear me, see me, puts us on even ground.

And don't bring sniping into this, it has no hunt in this discussion. Sniping is a totally different issue.

I"m just trying to get a healthy debate going on something other than the usual crap.

happy sunday, for all the survivors.
Rj

azfred

azfred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I think its more about just having the choice

CBR_Rob

CBR_Rob

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • LocationAvondale, AZ
Depending on how much sound the suppressor puts out I am sure a miss will still spook the game. I do like the choice aspect of it now if only we could get rid of that $200 tax on them. The bigger issue that works in favor of the game is the newer hunters not being able to find and/or track the game! On my 2 attempts to get a fall turkey we haven't found any.

wishbone

wishbone

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationSonoran Desert
heck I'm fine with the $200, it's the 6-8 month wait that kills the industry!

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

ShootersRealm.com Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

QFT!!!

I did the wait with my SBR and was constantly wondering why I paid $200 to wait 4 months for the privilege of having a 6" shorter barrel. I should have bought a suppressor instead.

Although I probably wouldn't mind waiting if I didn't already give them my money. I've can pass a NICS, have a CCW, why should it take any longer than buying a gun?

I'd love a suppressor but just not doing the process again.

CeramicGod

CeramicGod

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

The suppressor industry is actually doing better than it ever has, even with the increasingly terrible ATF wait times.

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

The suppressor industry is actually doing better than it ever has, even with the increasingly terrible ATF wait times.

Do you think that is because more companies are now making them that haven't in the past?

My initial reaction was that it was pre-election fears of them being banned, but then the thought of more manufacturers came to mind.

Still, I think they would sell even better without the wait time or the tax stamp.

wishbone

wishbone

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationSonoran Desert
It's absolutely the large amount of marketing hype that goes into it. If that were to die the market would disappear I'm sure. Companies like AAC and Silencerco have spent HUGE money in making it "hip" and more accessible/appealing to the public. Without the 6 month wait I'm sure you'd see suppressors out of stock everywhere. They'd be more rare than a stocking keltec dealer. Most people don't want to pay, deal with paperwork, AND be told they can't have their product for 6 months.

I don't think there's any justified fear of them being completely banned. The industry has hired lobbyists specifically to support suppressor legislation. Anyone notice the huge number of lifted hunting laws lately across several states? The industry is growing because of the money currently behind it.

As a side rant. Suppressors are not weapons, it makes absolutely no sense to have them in the category they are. If they want to continue to regulate them they should be in the AOW section ($5 stamp). Honestly though I don't think poaching is a huge problem anymore in the US? That was the original purpose for the legislation. Obviously if they're making them legal for hunting use, then lots of people agree it's no longer a problem.

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

snip... Most people don't want to pay, deal with paperwork, AND be told they can't have their product for 6 months.

Exactly how I feel.

I don't think the fear is justified at all either. But lots of it going around, like there was around the '08 election. Harder to find AR parts in stock and/or at decent prices, compared to 6 months or so ago.

I think they should be removed from the NFA registry completely because, as you stated, they aren't "weapons".

What is the process with AOW? Is it $5 and then a 6 month wait as well?

wishbone

wishbone

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationSonoran Desert
Process with AOW is exactly the same, only difference is that it's only $5 compared to $200. Same form.

I agree re the fear. I've noticed a lot less ammo in common calibers on the market lately. Time to do some investing.

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
Not that I believe the NFA will every get repealed, but how can we get some things removed?

wishbone

wishbone

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationSonoran Desert
An act of congress is the only way I know to change those particular laws. The only thing the ATF has control over is the process of following the law. Unless things haven't been defined. For example some new firearm they feel should be included under AOW. It seems they are given some liberty there to interpret the law. Unfortunately none of this helps suppressors which are defined specifically. So I guess we're back to an act of congress. =)

Edited by wishbone, 23 May 2012 - 03:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!