Cleaning paint off of a scope? - Optics and Sights - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums

Cleaning paint off of a scope?

- - - - -

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

ShootersRealm.com Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
I'm debating about cleaning off the multicam on my upper. I painted the scope as well. With my lower I just put it in the tub and sprayed with Citristrip and used a brush clean it off and then rinsed it. I don't want to do the same thing on scope for fear of hurting the lens coatings and seals.

Its just Krylon, so nothing heavy duty.

Have any of you done it before and if so what did you use? I found some tutorials for removing Duracoat and others for using MEK, but I don't really have a good place to use that stuff.

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
Update: I emailed Nikon to see what their response would be as some of the tutorials I read talked about people writing USO and Leupold and having them suggest acetone.

Here's Nikon's response:

Dear Brian:

We understand and appreciate the reason for asking your question. Unfortunately, we do not know of a method to remove the camouflage from the scope.

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks for using Nikon products!
Nikon Inc. (USA) Support / Service
http://support.nikontech.com

Somehow that just sounds like CYA to me.

RJ of AZ

RJ of AZ

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Update: I emailed Nikon to see what their response would be as some of the tutorials I read talked about people writing USO and Leupold and having them suggest acetone.

Here's Nikon's response:

Somehow that just sounds like CYA to me.

Yep, typical form letter, might try a little strip at a time, using small brush, may taek some time or just repaint over the camo, with a neutal color and be done with it
  • Beloemabe likes this

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
I have read good things about the Citristrip gel. Thick enough NOT to get in the cracks. I think I'll pick up a jug of that and some acetone.

Supposedly USO and Leupold employees have said they use acetone to clean lenses at the factory. Also people have mentioned using it to clean high tech lenses as well.

I'll take it easy with a rag, toothbrush and a beer.

RJ of AZ

RJ of AZ

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
success will be based on the lack of use of "cheap ass beer" :yahoo: :shout:

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
How am I going to bribe Mike or Larry to help then? ;)

Someone on another forum I found last night suggested drinking a 5th of Old Grand Dad and pissing things to remove paint. I laughed my ass off.

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
UPDATE:

I used acetone, an old rag and some Q-tips. Came off pretty easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!