1-4x scope help - PA, Nikon or Leupold? - Optics and Sights - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums

1-4x scope help - PA, Nikon or Leupold?

- - - - -

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

ShootersRealm.com Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
Now that I'm working again, I'm planning a "Recce" AR build. If you aren't familiar with a "recce" build, its a somewhat theoretical rifle. The SEALs apparently requested this set-up: http://en.wikipedia....EAL_Recon_Rifle. Essentially is a 16" carbine with a rifle length railed free-float tube and a low power variable scope.

I have owned the Primary Arms 1-4x, along with several of their other offerings, and loved it. But its a little on the big and heavy side. Its identical to the Millett DMS-1, but with a different reticle. So similar people have theorized its made in the same factory. They are affordable and work great. They are a 30mm tube, which I think looks good on an AR.

I was also looking a little more expensive offerings like the Nikon M223 and the Leupold Mk AR. Both of these are 1" tubes. And which not an issue, I don't think it looks as nice. Silly, I know, but if we didn't like the way our guns looked we'd all just shoot AKs! :p

Does anyone have any actual experience with either of those models? I've owned a couple Buckmasters from Nikon and think they are quality scopes. I've shot a couple of Kevin's rifles withe Leupolds and have been impressed as well.

withergyld

withergyld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Brian,

I have a 10.5" upper with a rifle length float tube and a Nikon M223 1-4x mounted on it. I have taken it out once but had some brand new shooters with me and didn't have time to properly get it sighted in. I like the way this looks and feels and look forward to getting out and testing it more. If I ever make it to a west side shoot I will bring it with me. I can post some pictures of it tomorrow.

withergyld

withergyld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
Here is my 10.5" with the Nikon 1-4x M223

Attached Files

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
Thanks for the pic! I was trying to picture what a 10.5" would look like with a rifle length rail. Now I see! Looks cool. I always liked those flash hiders.

I was also looking at the Burris Tac 30 as well.

Username Goes Here

Username Goes Here

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA
Mounting a Leupold VXII, 1-4x 23mm to my Keltec RFB this weekend (temporarily, until I can afford a Trijcon for it). Should be great on a short AR. The Nikons will come w/a free mount if you watch for the deals!

UNGH.

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
I have been looking at this set-up more and more lately: http://www.midwayusa...ope-mount-matte. Its a bit more than I wanted to spend, but seems like a great value. Although I can do a more budget set with PA stuff and keep the wifey happy for half the price.

Berd

Berd

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationMesa

I have been looking at this set-up more and more lately: http://www.midwayusa...ope-mount-matte. Its a bit more than I wanted to spend, but seems like a great value. Although I can do a more budget set with PA stuff and keep the wifey happy for half the price.

The burris Tac 30 will actually be the scope I'm going to put on my new 3-Gun rifle. I have the Larue mount and everything, just need to buy the scope.

I'm really impressed with the reticle. It's simple to understand and easy to use, along with being reminiscent of my Eotech reticle. The BDC is also built for 62 grain projectiles which are the bullets of choice for me to use in 3-gun. From what I've read, people have been impressed with the clarity and durability of this little bargain basement gem.

On the red dot mounted top of the scope. I think those things are kind of dumb. Becuase of the incredible bore offset you end up with crazy hold overs or unders, depending on the range of the target, so that the red dot is basically useless at any distance other than where you zereod it.

Also, after having used a few variable powered scopes I can see how this would be a useful addition, and my competition rifle will be wearing one.

http://www.mgmswitchview.com/svstore/

EDIT:
Shit, I forgot MGM doesn't make one for the Tac30, this guy does though:

http://www.brianenos...p?showforum=194

Edited by Berd, 21 November 2011 - 02:47 PM.

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
I'm a little torn on those as well. I tried using one in the past with a Weaver 1-4x, but I think I was using too high rings for the rail set-up I had. I thought it might be worth another shot as if I was going to have a magnified optic something for quick acquisition in case that was needed in a SHTF scenario could be useful. I can see how the holdover/under thing could be an issue, although I've seen quite a few 3-gunners using that exact set-up. But like I said, I was more interested in it for fast acquisition vs pinpoint accuracy in a fight situation.

The lever is definitely a cool idea and will most likely use it as well.

Kevinjs1

Kevinjs1

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1123 posts
  • LocationPeoria
Maybe we can take my 4-14 leupold out and give it a try to see what you like. It doesn't have a current home now that I bought the 30x.

Or I could put the 4-14 on the Marlin and let you work with the 3-9 Buckmaster?

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
That would be cool. Once I get the new one built, hopefully by the end of the year, I could use either of them to swap off the 1-4x for when I want take it hunting.

Samnev

Samnev

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCentral Arizona
I have a Nightforce NXS 1-4X24 on my LMT CQB and love it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!