Eye protection TESTING - TCB Firearms - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums

Eye protection TESTING

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

TCB Firearms

TCB Firearms

Advanced Member

• ShootersRealm.com Vendor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1388 posts
  • LocationSan Tan Valley, AZ
Not done by me, but a GREAT write up on eye pro with some testing that while would f up you whole face...can apply to ricochets, brass, fragmentation etc...I found this to be both informative and sad (Since i just dropped a few hundred on some Flak jackets)
http://www.luckygunn...glasses-review/

Posted Image

rizzo

rizzo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
Hell yeah - go Revision!

ragedracer

ragedracer

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
That testing was done by Andrew Tuohy. Awesome guy. Vuurwapenblog.com

dauph

dauph

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationNorth Valley
Surprised to see Oakley score so low in some. They seemed to be the standard, maybe that's just the M frame model.

rizzo

rizzo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Surprised to see Oakley score so low in some. They seemed to be the standard, maybe that's just the M frame model.

No surprise here - Oakley is one of the many companies who gained ground with the MIL, LEO, and pro sports communities, mostly because of them either being free or offering discounts, and then the average person just had to have them, too. It's what the SEALs/CAG/Rangers/Barry Bonds wears - I NEED them, too! In reality, they are just overpriced sunglasses for the most part.

Bombguy had a great experience with his, though - I believe they were Flak Jackets. I'll let him tell the story if he shows up in here. They saved his eyeballs, though with him now wearing Revision, I am a lot more comfortable about his eyeball safety.

wishbone

wishbone

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationSonoran Desert
Any opinions on ESS? I know his ESS test didn't fair well but it was an older set that was exposed to a lot of UV. All plastics break down. ESS has all the standards he refers to in his article (which is pretty lengthy):
http://www.luckygunn...glasses-review/

The reason I like ESS is the arms are EXTREMELY low profile. Style wise it probably isn't something you'd want to wear daily but if you spend all day with ear muffs your temples may thank you. I know that Glen said his Revisions didn't bother him there, but I've had some that dig horribly into my head and they also don't allow a great seal around your ears if they're too large. Anyway, just wanted to throw up another choice there.

Posted Image

rizzo

rizzo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
Before I was a Revision guy, I wore ESS glasses. I loved my ESS glasses, and preferred the Flyby models, which I still own. They were comfortable and effective, however they were too big for my face and, when compared to the Revision Hellfly models that I now wear, they didn't allow a 100% seal on my ear protection without positional modifications. As always, your mileage may vary.

wishbone

wishbone

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationSonoran Desert
Yeah that may have been why they did the crossbow suppressor. I can't imagine anything sealing better. Everyone's head and face is different but I love my crossbow suppressors (it's the suppressor model that has the ultra thin arms).

It's interesting that the article recommends a single piece optic as well. Some of his tests showed the optic coming out of the frame and stabbing the styrofoam in the eye.

Still, I really want to try the photocromic lenses on the revisions. Bombguy, I think you mentioned having those versions? How do you like them? Do they get dark enough?

Edited by wishbone, 24 July 2012 - 11:02 AM.

dauph

dauph

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationNorth Valley

No surprise here - Oakley is one of the many companies who gained ground with the MIL, LEO, and pro sports communities, mostly because of them either being free or offering discounts, and then the average person just had to have them, too. It's what the SEALs/CAG/Rangers/Barry Bonds wears - I NEED them, too! In reality, they are just overpriced sunglasses for the most part.

Bombguy had a great experience with his, though - I believe they were Flak Jackets. I'll let him tell the story if he shows up in here. They saved his eyeballs, though with him now wearing Revision, I am a lot more comfortable about his eyeball safety.

I remember seeing the shotgun test to Oakley's years ago but that was to the M frames which seems to be the norm for military if wearing Oakley. Oakley seems to have a huge presence in the military (correct me if I am wrong). I have always been a fan of Oakley and not Barry Bonds. I just liked their product.

I want to hear Bombguy's story though?

Bombguy

Bombguy

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationNowhere, USA
The Oakley M frame is the only glass I wear when working with demolitions. The short story is that while I was deployed I was subjected to an IED blast and my M Frames saved my eyesight and possibly my life. I do find that Revision is gaining ground though. I have several pair of their glasses and love all of them. I am not taking anything away from Revision by not "trusting" them when doing EOD work, I just know beyond the shadow of doubt that my M frames work.

Edited by Bombguy, 06 August 2012 - 03:44 PM.

wishbone

wishbone

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationSonoran Desert
Well if it's not broke, don't fix it. Especially in those situations. Stay safe out there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!