Red dot and magnifier or 1-4x for multi-purpose AR? - Optics and Sights - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums

Red dot and magnifier or 1-4x for multi-purpose AR?

- - - - -

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Red dot with magnifier or 1-4x? (4 member(s) have cast votes)

What would be your choice?

1. Red dot or Eotech with magnifier (3 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. 1-4x scope (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

ShootersRealm.com Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
So I'm thinking my next build will be a 14.5" upper. Probably with a Spectre rail, not sure if carbine or mid-length gas system. This will be a multi-purpose/all-around use rifle: classes, HD, hunting, matches, etc... Would your preferred setup be an Aimpoint or Eotech with a flip to side magnifier or would you go with a 1-4x type setup and why?

dauph

dauph

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationNorth Valley
Red dot and magnifier for me. I prefer the red dot set up and with the magnifier it is there if needed and off to the side when I don't.

rizzo

rizzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
I've used magnifiers and every single one I use ends up getting taken off. The same can be said for most of the guys I train with and work with, several of whom have used this gear downrange. I am a big fan of red dots, but they certainly have their limitations.

If I was going to build one AR to rule them all, I would take a serious look at the Burris TAC30. I have become a very big fan of this impressive little optic ever since Berd drunkenly showed me his (with no shirt on - why does he never have a shirt on?!) and since then I have had the chance to put one to the test and really liked the flexibility of it. It's like a magnifying red dot without all the flipping-stuff-to-the-side silliness.
  • Beloemabe, pieklyannerly and detgroofe like this

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
So Brad "showed you his" while drunk huh? Alrighty then...

The TAC 30 is the one I have been looking at, actually. It looks like a low power variable would be a fair bit lighter than a red dot and magnifier as well.

I suppose with s couple decent quick release mounts I could get both the TAC 30 and a red dot.

dauph

dauph

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationNorth Valley
That Burris looks nice, I like the reticle and would prefer the illuminated reticle for that type of scope. Cabelas has the trijicon acupoint on sale if that is an option for you.

Berd

Berd

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationMesa

(with no shirt on - why does he never have a shirt on?!)

In Soviet Russia, shirt wears you!

I've done quite a bit or competing with the Eotech Magnifier combo and the 1-4x in the Tac30 flavor. Here are my thoughts:

1.) Eotech and magnifier is the best of both worlds. You get a red dot for all the reasons that you love it primarily the unlimited eye relief. A quick flip and you get magnification! And the Eotech doesn't suffer the amoeba affect that aimpoints often suffer when magnified. I really liked having the versatility there. It's a little heavier I guess (do some pushups sally) but if you use a quality mount, such as a Larue, you can QD that bitch off when you are not using it. For no bull shit combat rifle I would lean towards this option of the two.

2.) The Tac30 1-4x is the best compromise going for close to mid range rifle work. At 1x you get something that is easy to use with both eyes open and a nuclear bright reticle. It loses out to the red dot for awkward positions such as shooting through a V-Tac barricade or shooting supine. It's limited eye relief is also a liability when wearing armor. Using a telescoping stock over a fixed one limits this penalty but doesn't entirely negate it. The Tac30 has the bitching BDC which I have found to be pretty damn useful when shooting out to 400 and 500 yards. Although the Eotech reticle is fucking awesome, it pails in comparison to the Tac30's when used at distance. For a general purpose rifle for everything, from hunting to competing, the Tac30 would get my nod.

Best solution....get both. For the red dot carbine I now use Daniel Defense fixed Irons and an Eotech. When I need magnification I reach for the Tac30 equipped carbine. Inside of 300 yards either should be sufficient, but the magnification sure helps.

But then again all I do is shoot silly gun games and overpay training companies to impart knowledge on me so I can live out my commando fantasies....so take this with a grain of salt.

Edited to add: I used an Eotech XPS 2.0, Larue flip to the side mounted Eotech Gen 1 3x magnifier. The Tac 30 is also in Larue mount with a cat tail from C.Drissel to aid in rapid power adjustments (totally worth the money)

Edited by Berd, 24 October 2012 - 11:05 PM.

wishbone

wishbone

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationSonoran Desert
I lost a little faith in my gen 1 3x magnifier when the lenses came loose with light use. I expected more from eotech. They Did replace it which is nice. Ymmv as always. Right now my favorites are my 1.5x acog and my burris xtr 1-4. Still working out the burris. Not sure I like a full tube optic on something I could use cqb wise even dialed down to 1x. I need a lot more time with it to form a better opinion.

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
That's it Brad! I'm changing your title to "Silly Gun Gamer" and your location to "somewhere acting out my commando fantasy". LOL!

Thanks for the info guys. And keep 'em coming!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!