Anyone hunt or have hunted with a Mosin-Nagant 91/30? - Hunting - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums

Anyone hunt or have hunted with a Mosin-Nagant 91/30?

- - - - - mosin-nagant hunting 7.62x54r sporter stock scout mount long relief scope

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

ShootersRealm.com Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
I'm wanting to try out some hunting. My only rifle currently is my 13.5" AR15 with an Aimpoint. While I could get another scope for it, I don't think it would be good for larger game than coyotes.

Due to my financial state with going back to school full time I can't afford to buy a new larger caliber rifle. I love C&R rifles and have seen some sporter stocks I coul swap, put a bent bolt on it or even leave it as-is stock-wise and get a scout mount and a long relief scope. Which I think would be a fair bit cheaper and also kind of cool history-wise.

Does anyone hunt with this rifle and/or round or have hunted in the past? I'm looking for some feedback to see if its worth it or should I just save my money and wait to buy a Remington 700 or something?

Flash

Flash

• Moderators
  • 4302 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona
If you can get it to hit a paper plate offhand at 100 yards every time, it would work perfectly and here's why:

Ballistics

The 7.62x54R is the longest serving military cartridge ever, still soldiering on worldwide in PKM machine guns and SVD sniper rifles. A ballistic twin of the .30-06, most military loads throw a 148-grain FMJ bullet at just under 2,800 fps. You have to be careful with Combloc military loads, as many are corrosive, although all current commercial ammo is safe.

http://www.shootingt.../#ixzz2bsbSBla1

The .30-06 is an outstanding hunting cartridge, probably the best ever in many ways. The first centerfire rifle I ever bought was a .30-06, when I was 15 or so.

I've still got it, albeit with a Fajen stock, Leupold scope and Timney trigger.

rizzo

rizzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
What do you want to hunt? Mule deer and whitetail deer can be taken with a .223 if you're confident in your dope, otherwise a 7.62x54R would be an excellent choice. As Flash already said, the bullet is more than sufficient.

Just like with self-defense, it's not about caliber and it's all about shot placement. First elk I ever killed was with a .243, every other elk since then has been with a .25-06 except for one with a .308. Most of my deer were taken with that same .25-06.

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

What do you want to hunt?

Something tasty!

I've never hunted anything before. I'd like to try deer or elk.

With my .223 I'm think coyotes, bobcat, javelina maybe.

Where would be the best place to start as a new hunter?

rizzo

rizzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
Take an AZGFD Hunter's Education course. It won't teach you much about hunting, but it will teach you about the big game draw process, the rules and regulations, and the various methods of pursuit.

Then find someone that can mentor you in hunting so that you can avoid a lot of the newbie mistakes.

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
I think I may know a mentor. He mentioned one time showing me the ropes for the price of a tasty lunch. ;)

Now would a scout mount and scope work or better a new stock, bent bolt and a normal scope?

I'm guessing this would be next year as I don't think my ankle will be up to the task yet this year.

WKshooter

WKshooter

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationArizona, Oklahoma, Texas

I think I may know a mentor. He mentioned one time showing me the ropes for the price of a tasty lunch. ;)

Now would a scout mount and scope work or better a new stock, bent bolt and a normal scope?

I'm guessing this would be next year as I don't think my ankle will be up to the task yet this year.

Brian;
Not to detract from you wanting a Mosin, but a factor in my hunting rifles has always been with weight. The Mosin at its bare weight weights @8.8 to 9.5 lbs with a length of @48". May want to consider those specs when selecting a rifle that you may be lugging all day through trees and brush. My preference has always been a light and short rifle. The light barreled rifles are good for 3-well aimed shots before barrel heating widens the grouping. I see Cabelas is having a special on the Ruger American Rifles for $349, these rifles weight @6.25 lbs and have adjustable triggers. Anyway just some food for thought...

P.S. FWIW, I'm partial to .243's and .270's. My wife likes her 30-30 for deer.

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
That's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I have relatively recently (past couple of years) been much more conscious of what my weapons and gear weigh.

I'll have to check out the Ruger American line. I had looked at Savage Axis before and was not crazy about the fit and finish of those.

The Mosin may be better left for fun shooting.

rizzo

rizzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
The Ruger American rifles are a good choice, and if you're open to purchasing something new, then there are all kinds of options out there. I thought you were looking for a cost-effective way to use what you already had. Take a look at the CZ rifle if you're open to buying something straight off the shelf for a reasonable price that is a tack-driving machine.

Flash

Flash

• Moderators
  • 4302 posts
I thought you were going to use what you had also.

Guns can be lightened a bit, but I don't think 9 pounds is all that bad, but that's just me.

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
I would have to buy a Mosin as well. Just fixed that was cheaper then a new rifle.

Flash

Flash

• Moderators
  • 4302 posts
Oh, I thought you already had one.

Well, you know what they say about assumptions.

rizzo

rizzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

I would have to buy a Mosin as well. Just fixed that was cheaper then a new rifle.

Figure a good Mosin @ $160-ish (not as cheap as they used to be). Even with a stock upgrade and some good hunting ammo, you'll still be cheaper than buying just about anything else.

unforgiven5150

unforgiven5150

• Moderators
  • 1774 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Figure a good Mosin @ $160-ish (not as cheap as they used to be). Even with a stock upgrade and some good hunting ammo, you'll still be cheaper than buying just about anything else.

But would it be significantly better to wait a little longer and buy an "entry level" rifle? I had a Savage 110 Tactical in .308 at one time and it was relatively inexpensive.

And as you have demonstrated, Glen, PA scopes hold up pretty well.

I'm a fan of the Mosin, and other C&R rifles. I had thought about trying hunting with a PO or PU replica scope. But at only 4x I'm not sure I'm giving myself the best chane.

Glen, do you teach a hunting class like the one you suggested?

Man, I gotta get this leg fully recovered. I'm driving myself nuts making lists of what I want to do when it is!

rizzo

rizzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
Yes, it would be better to wait as you'll get a more capable rifle that hasn't been shot as much as those old surplus Mosins. But if I HAD to go hunting RIGHT NOW (4 legged or 2 legged) and all I had was a Mosin, I would be happy to use it.

We do not teach Hunter's Ed, but there are plenty of opportunities to take one in whatever area you want to. I have people I recommend up here, but down in the Valley it's best to just check the AZGFD website. They are super cheap - I just paid $10 or something like that for my son to take his Hunter's Ed and it was 11 hours, though the instructor stretched it to about 16 hours, which I was thankful for. No such thing as too much training!

The only hunting class that we currently teach is the Coyote Clinic, which is coming up soon.

Flash

Flash

• Moderators
  • 4302 posts
Coincidentally enough, last night's episode of "Gun Stories By Joe Mantegna" featured the Mosin-Nagant's history, from the time of its design through the end of it's manufacturing period.

They also showed various people shooting it including an Instructor from Gunsite.

Very intersting stuff and one of my favorite shows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!