LC9 on the way back to Ruger - Handguns - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums

LC9 on the way back to Ruger

- - - - -

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

anm2_man

anm2_man

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
I bought a NIB Ruger LC9. I took it out to the desert - no targets but I wanted a function test. The trigger really sucked. You pull and pull and pull and finally it goes off. I said to my self " I should of tried one b4 I bought it". After that I was trying to decide whether to sell it or try to fix it. I found Galloway Precision and they make a trigger mod that reduces the travel by 50% and the pull to 4-5lbs. The bad news was that it was on backorder. This was back in April. The gun sat in the safe for 2 months and then the kits were available. I ordered one and proceeded to install it. Every thing went OK. Now its near the end of June. All desert spots are closed due to fire hazzard. So I by myself the Shooters world range pass (which was a good deal - $50 for 10 1hr range shots). I got to shooters world, mount my target, move it out to 25' and proceed to shoot at it. After 6 rounds, I see nothing on the paper ?????? I move it in closer - about 10' and again shoot at the upper target and after 6 rounds, I see one punch in the paper near the bottom. WTF ? After shooting another 20-30 rounds I find that the gun shoots 18" low and 6" to the left. I'm out of time so I go home.

So after disassembly, check everything, I head back out to Shooters world. The first 5-6 rounds - the same thing happens. Now all of this has been with the Iron sites. It has a laser, so I turned it on. Another 6 rounds and the laser misses 18" low and 6" left. Unfortunately I forgot the allen wrench to adjust the laser.

2 days later head back out to Shooters world, with allen wrench, and proceed to zero the laser. Guess what with out using the Iron sites, I can get the laser to be dead on. @ 10', 20', 30'. But you don't aim the gun, you point the laser and its 1moa @ 30'. I'm really scratching my head now.

Before heading back out at the range, I did some INTERNET search about accuray of the LC9. Found several hits (Most were on the Ruger forums) but none had a final solution. Lots of discussion about the long trigger pull and plulling the weapon down. I took the recommendations because I thought it could be me. Back to the range and tried every solution posted and NONE WORKED. But this time I brought my old G23 with me. Sent the Target ou @ 10' placed 5 rounds in a 3" circle, moved it out to 20' shot 5 rounds and placed them in a 4" circle and then move it out to 35' and shot 5 rounds and placed all in a 6" circle. I proved to myself it was't me ? (I think).

So I said maybe the Galloway parts effected something ? So I R&R the Galloway parts with the RUGER parts. Head back to shooters world and guess what ? See the Pic: I just find it hard to believe that they (Ruger) made a pistol that is this far off ?

Attached Files

Flash

Flash

ShootersRealm.com Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 4302 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona
Things happen. I once had a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt that gave me patterns and not groups. I sold it with full disclosure to a gun store.

I found out years later that the problem was that Ruger had a run where the cylinder I.D. was smaller than the barrel I.D., so the bullet was essentially bouncing down the barrel.

rizzo

rizzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
Not only is the stock trigger in the LC9 a piece of crap, but we've had 2 in classes that had accuracy issues, as well. 1 of them even had the Galloway trigger set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!