Greetings from Bremerton, WA - New Member Introductions - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums

Greetings from Bremerton, WA

• You cannot reply to this topic
32 replies to this topic

SSBNRM728

SSBNRM728

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
After a Bing.com search and some reading, I started this account to help collect reloading knoledge.

Carl

Flash

Flash

ShootersRealm.com Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 4300 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona
Welcome

I've been reloading both metallic and shotgun since Moses parted the Red Sea and know a bit, but not everything.

Anything in particular you'd like to know?

SSBNRM728

SSBNRM728

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Actualy Flash, an old post of yours is why I am here. I think I remember you talking about using Universal powder in .410 loads. Is this correct?

Flash

Flash

• Moderators
  • 4300 posts
I reload .410 every week for Sporting Clays, but I haven't used Universal, I've used 296 and 2400. I'll see what I can find about using Universal for .410.

I think you're referring to a thread I started about a Universal Load for all reloadable .410 hulls, in other words, all components the same but different hulls.

SSBNRM728

SSBNRM728

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Likely, thinkging back. does it work well? And it called for 2400?

Flash

Flash

• Moderators
  • 4300 posts
I didn't find a load that claimed to work well for all reloadable hulls, but what I found was published loads for all reloadable .410 bore hulls that used Winchester 209 primers, various wads and between 13 and 15 grains of 2400.

I then contacted the owner of Claybuster Wads and found he had designed a single wad that was a guaranteed drop in replacement for SP410, 410SC, WAA41 and WA410HS wads. All the published loads for reloadable hulls used one or the other of these wads he replaced with negligible changes in pressure, so I was good to go.

At this time I reload 2 different Winchester hulls, two different Remington hulls, Federal and Fiocchi 2-1/2" hulls and shoot them interchangeably every week. I see no difference in patterns from one manufacturer's to another and hull life ranges from 6 or 7 reloads for Fiocchi to around 10 to 12 reloads for the black Winchester hulls.

SSBNRM728

SSBNRM728

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I am just looking to build 2 loads. Both for my Judge, both buck shot ( I will begin with 00 and move up or down in size if needed), one will be 3", the other 2.5." I am hoping to be able to make this as simple as possible with little difference between the two.

Flash

Flash

• Moderators
  • 4300 posts
What primer and what hulls and which powder? Use the Claybuster wads I mentioned above as they replace all .410 wads made.

Incidentally, the Black Winchester Hulls that are loaded for the Judge are the ones I mentioned that I get the most reloads from. I have a friend who owns the Governor and I get them from him.

SSBNRM728

SSBNRM728

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have the Claybuster wads that you have spoken of (purely by chance), and that is all so far. I am trying to decide on a powder basing this decision on what else I reload i.e., pistol, and 12 gauge, if I can. For hulls, before I learned how specific these recipes are, I figured that I could scavenge from the local ranges and recycle the store bought I would alread be shooting. I am hoping that by starting out very conservatively and working up, I can kind of "wild cat" a load that works well enough.
Loading for the Judge and hoping for a decent pattern is like driving a Semi for the gas mileage in my opinion. I need to safely put projectile down range with enough speed to be effective while ensuring my own safety.

Flash

Flash

• Moderators
  • 4300 posts
I don't believe you're going to find a powder that will give satisfactory results in 12 gauge, pistol and .410 bore. There just aren't many powders that work well in .410 and the ones that do are not very usable in 12 gauge or pistol except in magnum loads. You can, of course, get commonality of primers between 12 Gauge and .410.

SSBNRM728

SSBNRM728

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok, this is good to know as I need to generate a load for the Wife's .357. I need to grow a set of patients and wait to find some Alliant 4100 then. I have seen recipes with this powder everywhere I look so...

Flash

Flash

• Moderators
  • 4300 posts
IMR 4227, 2400 and 296/H110 all will load the.410 well and also the.357 if you can't find some 4100 in the near future.

SSBNRM728

SSBNRM728

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thank you for that info.

Flash

Flash

• Moderators
  • 4300 posts
Glad to help.

SSBNRM728

SSBNRM728

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hey Flash, I am sorry to ask but I need more help. I picked up the Hodgdon 35 page "Basic Reloading Manual (2014)" while at a local reloading store and it told me that IMR 4227, like you had said, was a good powder for .410. I bought this powder and got home with this "data packet" only to find no tables about 4227. The Hodgdon site sems to have only loads for 1/2oz and doesn't mention the use of shot cards or anything to meter hight in the shell, loads for 11/16oz or the word buckshot. Am I over thinking this? As long as the shot and powder weight are as stated in the chart, I should be fine?

Flash

Flash

• Moderators
  • 4300 posts
You're right about the shot and the powder weight. Think about this: If you put 11/16 oz. of #8s in the wad, you'll fill the shot column almost to the crimp line. If you use buckshot, you won't be anywhere near 11/16 oz, so your pressure will be down (safer) and your velocity will be up. A round wad or two in the bottom of the Claybuster to bring up the column height will have little to no effect.

What hull and primer are you using? I've got a ton of data here.

SSBNRM728

SSBNRM728

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have Federal, Winchester and Remington (I don't know more about them than brand) hulls on hand righ now. I am glad you asked about primers. It turns out that I have CCI Mag 209s. I didn't know they made magnum 209s. These were the very first primers I ever bought. I hope I can use them. I do plan to load 12g also, but the cost effectiveness for me is in heavey, large shot loads. If I can turn out BBB to 00 with the magnum primers I will not upset. lol

Edited by SSBNRM728, 09 February 2015 - 11:24 AM.

Flash

Flash

• Moderators
  • 4300 posts
There are very few loads specifying CCI 209Ms in any of my books, and none for .410.

However, the 209Ms seem to produce around 1,000~1,500 PSI more than Winchester 209s, so they'd probably be okay if you dropped your powder charge a bit.

Most 11/16 oz loads call for 17.5 grains of 4227, so start around 16 grains and working up using large size shot should be safe enough.

SSBNRM728

SSBNRM728

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thank you. I will try this.

SSBNRM728

SSBNRM728

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Being that the Judge has a 3" rifled barrel and most of the 00, and 000 buck tests I have seen end up with flat pellets, like mini wad cutter bullets complete with rifling groves along their outer edge, I am thinking of ordering 0000 Buck .380" dia and loading 3 pellets per shell and not using a plastic wad. The shot weight should be .5oz total and the larger diameter pellets should flatten to grab more of the rifling and extend the grouped range of the load to about 1' dia at 15yd.
Again as long as the weights are correct, would this be an unsafe to shoot load?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!