Backpacking Stoves - Camping and Outdoors - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums

Backpacking Stoves

- - - - - backpacking stove esbit

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

dieselpowered

dieselpowered

ShootersRealm.com Founder

• Administrators
  • 1222 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
What do all of you have thrown in your packs for cooking or atleast heating water? I have heard mention of the Esbit Pocket Stove and it gets great reviews, one thing that was mentioned though is the need for a windscreen.

Here is a picture of the Esbit Pocket Stove:

Attached Files

John Kuhns

John Kuhns

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Jet Boil and MSR Pocket Rocket come to mind. Both are light and both get good reviews. Just depends on who you like. A plain old fire and canteen cup still work too. I keep a canteen cup in each of my packs and may get a 4th for the load bearing gear.

TCB Firearms

TCB Firearms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1388 posts
  • LocationSan Tan Valley, AZ
I have an MSR and love it. There are many options out there, and most time i just use the campfire. However if i want it quick, or weather/location is not permitting my MSR is there.

Bombguy

Bombguy

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationNowhere, USA
I have not used the isbit Pocket Stove, but I have a couple. I use a Jetboil when backpacking. They are kinda on the larger side, but everything packs right inside the cup.

Bounce

Bounce

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
I've had the MSR multi fuel xgk?..first generation since 1990...and just picked up the second generation a few months ago

Watchdog

Watchdog

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I have the Optimus Crux stove. It came as a set with a pot. I like that the stove and fuel canister can nest inside the pots and there is enough room for me to my MSR utensils, a lighter, folded papertowels, and a few salt/peppar packets in there with room to spare. I used it on the hike with Rizzo and others, I boiled water for my Mountain House meals crazy quick.

The stove alone was like $45, but I picked the kit up for maybe $20 more then just the stove. Here is a link:

http://www.rei.com/p...-cooking-system

Esbit stoves are great, I have one as well as Trioxane tabs, and the fire gel stuff, but I really like the optimus stove setup.

dieselpowered

dieselpowered

• Administrators
  • 1222 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
Thank you everyone for the input, never heard of the Optimus, however, I know the Jetboil is a popular option as well.

Watchdog

Watchdog

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Sorry for the confusion, Optimus = Katadyn

Full name is the Katadyn Optimus Crux stove

Katadyn is most famous for their water filters.

CRO59

CRO59

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationThe desert, why is it always the desert?
I carry a homemade Super Cat stove most of the time. For the cost of a can of cat food they can't be beat. Larger stoves can be made out of tuna cans, and there are other designs using soda cans. I love my MSRs and may try a JetBoil, but the Super Cat is so much smaller and lighter, plus the fuel can be carried in bottled water bottles to save even more weight & $$.
Posted Image
Here is a post I wrote when I first made one... Super Cat Alcohol Stove

dieselpowered

dieselpowered

• Administrators
  • 1222 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
That looks like a very cool project my friend! Great write up you did. :good:

CRO59

CRO59

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationThe desert, why is it always the desert?

That looks like a very cool project my friend! Great write up you did. :good:

Thanks! These stoves are incredibly easy and the weight savings over an MSR or Optimus is significant. There are a couple of other designs I will try. I'll let you know how they work out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!