Water Filtration and Purification - Camping and Outdoors - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums

Water Filtration and Purification

- - - - - water filtration purification bug out back bob out bag backpacking

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

dieselpowered

dieselpowered

ShootersRealm.com Founder

• Administrators
  • 1222 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
Seeing as there are a lot of these water filtration units on the market, I wanted to turn to all of you to see which units you have tried, which units you feel are best, ect.

I would like to include one in my out bag, but I really do not know anything about water filtration.

In addition, comments on water purification tablets, are they good to have even if you have a portable filtration unit?

Watchdog

Watchdog

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I have a MSR miniworks filter, I like it. It is relatively compact and has a good form and function. I have heard people complain that these types of filters the cartridges can break/crack if dropped but I haven't dropped it so I can't say. I carry iodine tablets too just in case I feel the water is really questionable after I filter it and don't have time/option to boil it.

One thing I did learn is I take a couple elastic hair ties from my wife and throw coffee filters in with my setup. I wrap a coffee fillter around the intake point for the water. I have learned doing it keeps the setup a bit cleaner and should add to the overall lifespan of the filter.

Bombguy

Bombguy

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationNowhere, USA
Iodine tablets are good, but a medicine dropper with bleach is better. Put one "drop" in a 32 oz bottle of clear water, and two drops in cloudy water(after filtering). I have a Katadyn filter that I have never used but is small and light.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!