Signal Mirrors - Survival and Emergency Preparedness - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums

Signal Mirrors

- - - - - signal mirror bug out bag out bag bob backpack

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

dieselpowered

dieselpowered

ShootersRealm.com Founder

• Administrators
  • 1222 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
I imagine the majority of you have signal mirrors in your packs, my question is how can there be so many variations of signal mirrors on the market? How many different options can there be on a signal mirror?

rizzo

rizzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
Everyone's trying to make a buck.

Get a Star Flash from Survival Tech or a Rescue Flash from AMK and call it done.

Better yet, get a couple of them and keep them in every BOB and BOV you use.
  • Azbearhuntr likes this

dieselpowered

dieselpowered

• Administrators
  • 1222 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
Thanks Glen, the Star Flash is the one that I had actually found. Am I better off going with a 2" x 3" or 3" x 5"?

I have never used one before so I am not sure if the size makes that much of a difference.

rizzo

rizzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
All depends on the size of your kit. If it's a backpack kit, go with the bigger one - I like bigger mirrors because mirrors have multiple uses.

But if it's a pocket kit, then go with the smaller one. Either way that thing is visible from a long way off.

Bounce

Bounce

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
I'm gonna test a few hard drive platters soon... they're about 3.5 inches diameter with a one inch hole in the middle....

dieselpowered

dieselpowered

• Administrators
  • 1222 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
It is an interesting idea, I wonder if those platters would scratch really easily?

Bounce

Bounce

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
how can I test :)

rizzo

rizzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

how can I test :)

Scratching or reflection?

Scratching would be pretty straight forward, though that wouldn't damage it's reflective ability much. I test mirrors / watches / various other reflectives by climbing a hill and having someone 1 mile away and seeing if they can see my reflection. Then we move out to 2 miles and test.

Bounce

Bounce

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Morbo demands an answer! lol. I'll get serious about these platters.

Flash

Flash

ShootersRealm.com Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 4302 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona
You can also use CDs as signal mirrors, they work well, as do DVDs. Or, you can use what I use, something that's on my person all the time...my Seiko Dive Watch. It's got a quartz crystal and a black dial face and makes a great mirror. I have to be careful when I'm outside that I don't blind somebody with it inadvertently. This actually happens frequently on my patio when people are over.

The next thing to do for most of you guys is to learn International Morse Code so you can send it with the mirror if need be. I learned it when I was 8 or 9 years old and of course, that came in handy when I became a Ham Radio operator a few years later.

Flash

John Kuhns

John Kuhns

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Flash beat me to it. CDs work fine.

Kevinjs1

Kevinjs1

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1123 posts
  • LocationPeoria
Quartz watch and cd...check :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!