Modify Ruger 10/22 For Silhouette - Rifles and Shotguns - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums

Modify Ruger 10/22 For Silhouette

- - - - - ruger 10/22 silhouette

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

dieselpowered

dieselpowered

ShootersRealm.com Founder

• Administrators
  • 1222 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
My buddy kevinjs1 has been kind enough to get me all interested in silhouette shooting to the point where I would like to participate in some competitions along with him.

My thoughts are to use my Ruger 10/22, and simply change out the barrel, stock, and add some decent optics.

I am leaning towards using this Fajen adjustable stock, anyone have any experience with Fajen stocks?

Posted Image

Posted Image

In regards to a barrel, I am thinking of going with a bull or fluted barrel, can anyone recommend a quality barrel?

Also could use some suggestions on optics as well.

Thanks!

magaskins

magaskins

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • LocationPeoria
I've built a couple 10/22's over the last few years. I've used everything from volquartzen barrels and components to Tactical solutions barrels and power custom trigger kits.

this one is the first one I built. Early 80's 10/22 from a pawn shop, paid about $100 for it, it weren't pretty...
stripped the cracked wood stock and barrel, pulled the bolt and replaced the broken extractor and firing pin. I pulled the trigger group apart and rebuilt it using a power customs trigger and sear kit. I replaced the original barrel with a tactical Solutions fluted and threaded barrel, an off the shelf stock from Cabela's and picked up a scope at a garage sale for $2.00, a tac rail and some rings and this one will easily dance golf balls at 75-100 yards

Posted Image

This one is a little more involved...
My mom and dad snowbird to Yuma every year and the county shurf sponsors a .22 competition shoot with trophies and such. The real fun is in the side bets; there is a group of shooters that bet dairy queen banana splits for the winners paid for by the losers. The first year Dad borrowed my gsg-5 and did okay, but he bought more than he received. The next year I left him with my 10/22... I think he bought once, and that was because he was a bit hung over that day... Sooooo....

He calls me one day in July and says if I find a 10/22 for a decent price, grab it for him so he doesn't have to borrow mine this year. Sure thing Dad... I had picked up another 10/22 prior to his call that had been turned into a bullpup and it didn't work at all. I picked it up for $140 which was a little high for a non-working gun, but it already had a trigger kit and I could flip the bullpup kit pretty easily, so I started working on his birthday present...

Tactical solutions barrel, Anschutz stock from stockystocks.com, disassembled, cleaned, polished and reassembled the trigger group, pulled the bolt assembly apart and cleaned/polished it, Volquartzen bolt buffer, lever style mag release (not pictured) mount/rings and a Nikon scope. I don't think he's bought a sundae in 3 years...

Posted Image

Next was my sons' Christmas present. Grandpa and Dad were having a lot of fun competing for ice cream during visits in Yuma and every now and then kid would let his alligator mouth overload his lizard ass and jump into the fray, and subsequently have to by ice cream... his 'excuse' was "if I had my own gun, I'd be more familiar and have a better chance..." fair enough.

this one is all Volquartzen, the only part that is still Ruger is the receiver housing and the bolt. Yukon Extreme stock, VQ spiral fluted SS barrel, pretty much everything from the trigger components to the bolt handle and mag releases to the bolt buffer are VQ. Scope mount, rings, bipod and Nikon scope are all from Cabela's.

Posted Image

All my 10/22 builds have been pawn shop rejects, beat to hell and cheap. I have 2 more in my safe waiting for my muse to give me direction. I love this platform and recommend you do your research to figure out what you want from it. The possibilities are second ony to the AR platform.

Hope this helps

Edited by magaskins, 26 August 2011 - 08:44 PM.

azpilgrims

azpilgrims

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • LocationArizona
Very cool Mark, I got rid of my 10/22 years ago because it was boring - I should have tricked it out and would have been more fun. I do love my Smith & Wesson M&P15-22, that is a fun plinker and a crowd pleaser when we bring out friends and family shooting - that thing is shot all day long. :)

Cooperdisciple

Cooperdisciple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationArizona
I had a 10/22 very similar to Mark's middle picture. I liked the Fajen quite well. It fit (me, at least) and was very stable and comfortable. The only problem with building a 10/22 for target work is it gets too heavy for anything else. They DO shoot, though. It sure is a great way to spend 3 or 4 times the cost of the original rifle! :D

IDMooseMan

IDMooseMan

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationNampa ID
I have one 10/22 at this point. My wife, my two daughters and I love shooting it every time we go the gun club. We all love it so much, I need to get more so everyone can fine tune their own rifle. You've given me some ideas. I bought the one we have at WalMart. Their dealer-exclusive with the 22" SS barrel.

I'd like to get more but they're either no longer available or the current owner wants way more money than I'm able to spend. So, Mark, you've inspired me to start seriously looking at my local pawn shops to see what I can find. I have a Cabela's and a Sportsmans Warehouse nearby, too, so I should have plenty of options.

magaskins

magaskins

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • LocationPeoria
*Occasionally* Cabela's gets in someone's collection of 10/22's and even gets a pile of receivers. I was in there one day and the library had almost 90 complete receivers with no barrels or stocks for $99 each. Considering I throw away the original barrel and stock anyway this was a perfect deal. I try to look for older models primarily as the new ones have composite components like trigger assembly and such.. just my preference to have all metal... YMMV

IDMooseMan

IDMooseMan

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationNampa ID
I've needed an excuse to visit Cabela's again, and that sounds like it will work. Not to mention fudge for the wife and daughters.

withergyld

withergyld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
When I lived in Nampa a few years back I found some good deals on guns at the pawn shop on the Boulevard next to Wheelers. You might check in there if they are still open.

IDMooseMan

IDMooseMan

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationNampa ID
Thanks, Glen. I'll hafta take a look over there.

Edited by IDMooseMan, 25 September 2011 - 03:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!