CamelBak Cleaning/Storage - Camping and Outdoors - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums

CamelBak Cleaning/Storage

- - - - - camelbak cleaning storage

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

dieselpowered

dieselpowered

ShootersRealm.com Founder

• Administrators
  • 1222 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
Just a quick question, did a hike today and used my CamelBak, any tips, tricks, suggestions on the care of it after?

John Kuhns

John Kuhns

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
I drain mine about once every 6 months. There is so much chlorine in ordinary tap water I never really worried about it. When I do drain it, I position it to keep the mouth open and hang it in the garage to air dry.

Kevinjs1

Kevinjs1

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1123 posts
  • LocationPeoria

Just a quick question, did a hike today and used my CamelBak, any tips, tricks, suggestions on the care of it after?

Since I don't hike as much as used to, I drain it each time I use it. I hang it on a hanger in my closet to dry with a paper towel crumpled up in it to keep it propped open for airflow.

rizzo

rizzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

I drain mine about once every 6 months. There is so much chlorine in ordinary tap water I never really worried about it. When I do drain it, I position it to keep the mouth open and hang it in the garage to air dry.

This works for me, except I don't hang it in the garage, I hang it in the bathroom in my office above the sink. Also make sure to blow out the tube when you drain it. Most of the time mine gets drained from use (I drink it all) but for the ones that don't, every 6 months should be fine. Camelbaks are good that way.

Don't try that with the Wal-Mart brand or Blackhawk bladders, though - moldy moldy. They have to be drained and dried pretty much every time. That's why I stick with Camelbak.

CRO59

CRO59

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationThe desert, why is it always the desert?
I shove the drinking tube into the bladder to keep it open then hang it upside down. If you are worried about algae and mold just rinse it with a chlorine solution (make sure you squeeze some through the tube). Like Rizzo, I've had the best luck with Camelbak bladders. Some of mine are 10 or more years old.

CBR_Rob

CBR_Rob

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • LocationAvondale, AZ
I still have one of the original camelbaks and the bladder has no mold and I've always drained it and let it air dry out. Of course it has not been used in years since it is so cheesy compared to what is out now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!