Portable Solar Kits - Camping and Outdoors - ShootersRealm.com: Shooting and Firearm Forums

Portable Solar Kits

- - - - - solar kit goal zero

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

dieselpowered

dieselpowered

ShootersRealm.com Founder

• Administrators
  • 1222 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
Has anyone used any of the portable solar kits on the market?

I have seen a lot of these Goal Zero kits and was thinking about the Guide 10 Plus Adventure Kit for simply being able to charge my phone in the field if necessary.

http://www.goalzero....enture-Kit/1:1/

Here is a video as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jweL_bGP3tY

Watchdog

Watchdog

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I have seen these, my Lowes actually had them around Christmas at a special display, they may still have them but the special display is gone and I generally go to the depot. I liked the escape kit for car camping, but have been really looking at something like the guide 10 kit. The difference between the one you linked and the "base" kit is a car charger. Also, check out Amazon, your kit is $89 :)
http://www.amazon.co...30227729&sr=8-1

Flash

Flash

ShootersRealm.com Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 4300 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona
Wow, that's expensive. How about getting one of the cell phone chargers that work off of 3 or 4 AA batteries? They're a lot less money.

Flash

Watchdog

Watchdog

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Wow, that's expensive. How about getting one of the cell phone chargers that work off of 3 or 4 AA batteries? They're a lot less money.

Flash

I have a pair of Duracell Mygrid powerpacks which are great. With 2 I can charge my I-phone 3 times, which is more then I need when I go out hiking, but if one was going for an extended stay, the weight of carrying batteries and such would start to suck, thus the advantage of the solar cell system.

dieselpowered

dieselpowered

ShootersRealm.com Founder

• Administrators
  • 1222 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ
Not to mention that solar cell can also charge/power 12 volt accessories if need be.

Your point Flash, however, of carrying only powerpacks, is a valid one. :good:

Azbearhuntr

Azbearhuntr

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationGilbert
I use this to charge my phone/USB charged devices while out in the field:

http://www.amazon.co...30291723&sr=8-1

It is super compact, I get a full charge on my Iphone per set of AA batteries (I use Eneloop rechargeables in it) and it has a standard USB outlet so I dont need to look for adapters. It isn't super strong although I have yet to break one and for $4.51 including shipping I don't mind buying a few spares to keep around the house, pack, truck, etc. Not sure if this would help you but it's a pretty fantastic product in my experience.

Flash

Flash

ShootersRealm.com Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 4300 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona
Yeah, and I'm a big fan of photovoltaic. I ran an entire Ham Radio room with solar for over 25 years prior to moving to this house.

5 Transceivers, a TV, an antenna turner, a police/ham radio scanner, a coffee pot, fans, lights, the whole 9 yards.

I still haven't gotten around to putting the whole system back up here, however. I'm becoming a lazy bastage. I've got 5 panels for a total output of 15 amps/hour, so it's a serious system.

Plus, I haven't figured out which batteries I'm going to use this time as I got spoiled by my last battery bank. I had 7 telco wet cell batteries that were rated at 450 amp hours at a 4 hour rate. Unfortunately, they were getting flat so I took 'em to the recycler.

Flash

CBR_Rob

CBR_Rob

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • LocationAvondale, AZ
I like the solar panel set-up, to me it is much easier than carrying batteries but I think the technology has 2 - 3 more years before it gets to the optimum price point.

hill60

hill60

Advanced Member

• Founding Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationValley of the Guns
I've been toying with the idea of making something like this - there are variations to the theme/design that'll charge AA or AAA batteries, which are used to then charge a phone, or can be used for flashlights etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

ShootersRealm.com honors and supports the members of our United States Armed Forces. Thank you for everything you do, have done, or will do!